Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Re-organized

Can you call it RE-organized when it wasn't really organized in the first place? No? Okay, so I guess a better title would be "Finally getting it together after three years!" Seriously. We both keep the house clean, but it's not exactly tidy. Certainly not as tidy as we would like. We found ourselves dumping things here and there, rather than giving everything a permanent home. For such a big house, we have very, very little storage space. Organization is key, especially with a toddler. Last week something finally clicked, and I found myself giving the house an overhaul, one messy place at a time.

It all started with the cedar chest Mom passed along to us. Our sheets and blankets had previously been thrown into the entire left side of the upstairs closet. They took up far too much room but we didn't have much choice. So now the blankets sit nicely folded in the cedar chest, which will soon live permanently in the spare room.

This clears up half of the upstairs closet. HALF! HALLELUJAH we have storage space! Once this shelves opened up, I was on a roll. The closet is not the most efficient use of space - just two giant shelves on the left side - but it will have to do for now. I went to Target for the first time last week (Nothing exciting to report) and picked up two five packs of these containers for just $6 each. I came home and whipped up some quick chevron labels in PS, and got to work.

I had scribbled down all of my ideas of categories and items to be kept in there. I started my mission with the junk drawer. Oh junk drawer. Good bye. Good riddance. I hope to never see you again. Having this drawer empty left me with space to properly store baggies, wax paper, foil etc. HALLELUJAH again! AND moving the cooking supplies left me with space to properly store my pot lids. An entire drawer, full of pot lids. HALLE-FREAKING-LUJAH organizing feels good!

Continuing on throughout my house, I gathered things from above the kitchen sink, beneath the bathroom sink, the pantry, the laundry room...Like I said, we were rather scattered. Then I went upstairs and filed everything nicely into the following categories: Rags, Sponges/Magic Erasers, First Aid (everything I could gather up), Flash light/Batteries, Candles/Matches, Tools (screwdriver, measuring tape etc), Paint Supplies (small brushes, paint sticks, can openers), Sewing Supplies (pins, thread etc), and Crochet Supplies. It's not perfect, but we're really happy so far. We'll see how it works for us and change it as needed in the future. Along with these ten new containers, I have a basket for general cleaning supplies that don't fit into a lidded box, as well as a nice wicker basket that holds paper towel and toilet paper.

It's a work in progress. I feel like I've made a huge dent, but there is still a lot left. The right side of the closet has to be re-done. I still need to find a home for a few things on Addison's dresser, above the kitchen sink, and in the laundry room. I plan on getting a few more containers and/or baskets and giving the pantry and bathroom cupboards a similar makeover. It has taken three years, but our house is finally getting the attention it deserves. Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment