Thursday, April 7, 2011

Dear Chapters

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to inform you of my disappointment with my recent shopping experience at your Belleville, Ontario location.

While waiting in line to purchase two new books for my newborn daughter and five month old niece, I saw displays for a new book, entitled A New Kind of Monster: The Secret Life and Chilling Crimes of Colonel Russel Williams. Convicted murderer Williams' face was shown on every empty cashier counter.

As a regular Chapters customer, I understand putting new books on display for paying customers. However, as a resident of the community in which the most heinous crimes described in this very book took place, I feel this book display was in very poor taste. Children do not need to get their hands on this book. Victims friends and families should not have to see Williams' face while they make their purchases.

I understand that this type of book sells. I am a Criminology student and often read novels on this very topic. I just feel as though we do not need to glamourize criminal cases. This book should quietly be placed in the Criminology section of your store, leaving everyone the option of whether or not they'd like to read it.

I speak on behalf of many in saying that the residents of Hastings County want to move on from the whirlwind that was last year. Please re-consider the advertising and placement of this novel in your Belleville, Ontario store.

Respectfully,

Miss TH, 24

No comments:

Post a Comment