Saturday, June 4, 2011

Mommy group, anyone?

When I was pregnant, I kept telling myself I'd go to our local Mommy group. Seven months later, I finally made it to the first one and I wasn't all that impressed. Unfortunately being in such a small town means there aren't very many options.

The one we do have one a regular basis (every Monday) is a drop in for both babies and toddlers. Turns out ours is mostly toddlers. The moms are all much older and there really isn't much structure. We all sit around and do however much or as little as we want. There's a break for snack and a story/song at the very end of the two hour group. Thankfully I knew one mom so I had someone to talk to and I met one other woman I really like, but I was just hoping for something more.

This past Thursday marked the last of four baby classes I went to (also for free) that focused on the baby's brain at six months. I knew most of the girls there and all the babies were around the same age. It was a close-knit circle with a very loosely led conversation about specific topics each week, all linked to how the baby is learning different things at this stage in their life. It was great! I want this one to keep going!

I'll try to keep going on Monday. Maybe I'm just not comfortable yet because I've only been once. I don't know. I guess I'm just looking for something a little more beneficial to both Addison and I. I should probably keep going, because if nothing else, it's a nice way to get out of the house and meet some other moms and babies. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment