Monday, August 22, 2011

RIP Jack Layton

I was not happy initially when an election was called this year. When it was all said and done, I was shocked, as was the rest of the country. I was so proud of my party and its leader.

The "orange crush" made history. The NDP, led by Jack Layton, had won 103 seats, becoming the official Opposition for the first time in the party's history. They took 59/75 seats in Quebec, which led to the collapse of the Bloc Quebecois.

In July 2011, Layton announced that he would be taking a leave of absence as he fought a new form of cancer. This morning it was announced (link) that he passed away peacefully in his home with his family. He was 61.

RIP Jack Layton, the man who somehow managed to catch my interest in Politics. You were a brilliant, sweet man, and a great leader. This country will not be the same without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment